To train port and terminal mooring men in correct mooring techniques and advise them of dangers involved in mooring operations. Mooring is a high risk job so it is in employer’s interest to let the crew be trained in proper techniques of picking up, transferring to bollard and letting go mooring lines.
Port and terminal managers and mooring crew. Tugboat crew.
Course Content mooring
- Access and egress to working areas.
- Amount of light and design of light housing.
- Slips, trips and falls, especially at bollards.
- Other vehicle/crane movements in area.
- Emergency recovery plan/equipment.
- Injury due to lifting of heavy mooring lines.
- Mechanical pulling of mooring lines.
- Action when the eye of the line has been placed on the bollard.
- Precaution when accepting a mooring line from ship.
- What if excessive load comes when handling the line.
- Capsizing of mooring boat due to excessive load.
- Correct way of holding mooring line in boat.
- Placing multiple lines on the same bollard.
- Understanding mooring layout of the ship.
- Limitation of mooring arrangement of the ship.
- Have an understanding of the need for & purpose of mooring.
- Understand the role of the mooring executive and mooring gangs.
- Explain the properties of various types of mooring ropes & wires.
- Discuss the use of various equipments used in mooring.
- Describe the role of pilots, ship staff and tug boats.
- Explain the general lay out of jetties & the general configuration of lines used in mooring.
- Understand & carryout the preparation requirements for safe mooring operations.
- Know the risks involved in mooring operations and common causes of accidents.
- Know the requirements of personal safety.
- Understand & explain the importance and use of proper PPE.
- Understand and explain the common terms used in mooring operations.
- Able to understand the meaning of hand signals used in mooring operations.
- Explain how to conduct pre mooring meeting & briefing of the mooring team ashore.
- Able to communicate in VHF radios and understand the instructions given by pilot & ship staff.
- Explain how to handle the lines safely & efficiently.
- Describe how mooring boats are used in mooring operations.
- Understand and describe the correct procedures for making fast the lines and laying on bits, bollards, hooks or similar arrangements used.
- Explain the various procedures for letting lines go during un mooring and safety precautions to be taken Understand snap back zones .
- Understand operations at buoy moorings.
Course Fee INR Duration Course Timing Date Commence Remarks
1 day 10:00-18:00 On Demand